QuickBooks is a one non-stop accounting solution that fulfills all your accounting requirements at one place. It allows you to manage your business and perform all complex accounting tasks. QuickBooks Company File is one of the most important part of QuickBooks because it stores all your financial data including transactions, reports, items etc. However, there can be some situations when you can face some issues when you try to open your QuickBooks company file. Sometimes, while opening the QuickBooks company file, you get the following error message:
Error: Cannot communicate with the company file due to firewall
What Causes The Communication Error?
- Improper firewall settings are not allowing QuickBooks to connect with QuickBooks.
- You are using a third-party application which is creating hindrance between the connection.
- You haven’t configured server properly.
- Antivirus software installed on your system is not allowing you to open QuickBooks company file.
- QB Database Server Manager is not working or installed on the server.
Resolving The Error
Steps to resolve Error: Cannot communicate with the company file due to firewall are as follow:
Solution 1: Use The File Doctor Tool
- Open an internet browser and navigate to the official website of Intuit.
- Go to the download page and download the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool.
- Install the tool on your system.
- Run the tool to start the data resolution process.
- The tool will automatically scan and troubleshoot identify issues.
- Restart your system once the process is done.
Solution 2: Manual Network Troubleshooting
- Update QuickBooks to the latest release.
- Configure Windows Firewall settings to make QuickBooks compatible with your OS.
- Click on Start menu, type Windows Firewall in the search box and hit enter.
- Set firewall settings to default.
Note: Intuit doesn’t provide any kind of support or troubleshooting methods for firewall related issues because these issues are related to your OS and the particular firewall application. You can contact your service provide to assist you with the issue or contact Microsoft Support.
- Check folder permissions
- You need to set folder permissions to share company files to validate that the folder settings to allow QuickBooks to access the folder where your company file is located.
- Open the Folder Options and mark Show hidden Files and folders and try to run QuickBooks to check if the error is resolved or not.
- Rename .ND and .TLG files.
- Open Windows Explorer by pressing Windows + E keys and go to the folder where your company file is located.
- Right click on the file that consist same name as your company file but with .nd and .tlg extensions.
- Select Rename from the drop-down options.
- Add the word OLD at the end of the file name and hit enter.
The .nd and .tlg files known as the configuration files that contains all the information related to the system that host your company file. A new file will automatically be created when you will rename these files.
- If you are on hosting network, go to your server and run QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
Quick tip: If you don’t find QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your system, you need to install it by yourself. When you run it, select I’ll be using QuickBooks on this computer, AND I’ll be storing our company file here so it can be shared over our network to install the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Once you run the QB Database Server Manager, click Add Folder and navigate to the folder where your company file is located.
- Click on Scan to add all the folders.
- Once the scan finishes, you will see your company file in the QuickBooks company files found
- Navigate to the folder where your company file is stored and make sure that the .ND and .TLG file is created for each company file.
Turn off hosting in all Workstations:
- Open QuickBooks and from the File menu, go to Utilities > Stop Hosting Multi-User Access.
- If you see the Host Multi-User Access option instead of Stop Hosting Multi-User Access, it means that the multi-user access is disabled.
- Click on Yes on the confirmation message.
Hosting on the server computer must be turned on. To do so, follow:
- Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC keys to open the Task Manager.
- Go to the Processes tab and locate exe.
Quick tip: Click on the header of the column to sort list in alphabetical order.
- If the exe process is not available in the list, it means it is not installed on your system.
Note: You may have to log into your system with administrator rights.
- Press Windows + R keys to open the Run Command.
- Type msc in the search field and click on OK.
- Find QuickBooksDBXX of your QuickBooks from the list. Example: QuickBooks 2017: QuickBooksDB27, QuickBooks 2016: QuickBooksDB26
- Set startup type as Automatic and make sure it is currently running.
- In the exe section, make sure that the entry in the User Name is right. The username based on the version of QuickBooks that you are using. Example: QuickBooks Desktop 2017: QBDataServiceUser27, QuickBooks Desktop 2016: QBDataServiceUser26.
Technical Support For QuickBooks Company File Issues
The provided solutions should be helpful for you in resolving the Error: Cannot Communicate With The Company File Due To Firewall. In case, you are not able to resolve the issue or you are having any doubts in any of the step, contact us at our toll-free QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1888-396-0208 and get instant support for your QuickBooks issues.