QuickBooks provides you an end to end accounting services that can be helpful for you in taking your business to the next level. However, there are several threats in QuickBooks Desktop that can be very difficult for you when you encounter them. Data damage is the biggest and the most common threat in every software and QuickBooks also comes in that list. Company file is the most important part of QuickBooks because it stores all your financial data that includes reports, transactions and other data. You can face data damage issues because of various causes, and you need to identify all of them if you want to resolve them manually.
In this article, we will provide you the complete information to resolve data damage on your QuickBooks company file. This article is very important for you even if you haven’t faced any kind of data damage issue yet, because you should keep your data healthy. The steps provided in this article are very basic in nature and can be performed even if you don’t have high knowledge of QuickBooks. In case, you require any kind of assistance or help, you can contact QuickBooks Customer Service Phone Number +1800-621-5491 toll-free.
How To Resolve Data Damage On Your QuickBooks Company File?
If you are sure that there are some issues with your company file, move onto the following solution steps:
Step 1: Run the Rebuild Data utility
- Go to File > Utilities > Rebuild Data.
- You will be asked to take a back up of your company file. Click on OK.
Note: It is possible that QuickBooks may not respond for a while during the process. If you are able to move your cursor, it means the process is going on and you need to wait for the process to get finished.
- Once the process finishes, click on OK.
Step 2: Run the Verify Data utility
- Go to File > Utilities > Verify Data.
- If a message occurs on your screen stating QuickBooks detected no problem with your data, click on OK and you can work on your company file.
- If it shows any kind of issue or error, you need to click on Rebuild Now or View Errors.
- Select Close to go to the next solution.
Review Last Verify/Rebuild
- Open QuickBooks and from being on the home screen, press F2 key to open the Product Information window.
- Now, click on Review Last Verify/Rebuild.
- Find out the errors and issues in the review screen.
If you are able to open the QBWin.log or QuickBooks.log file, perform the steps provided in this section. If you are not able to open the file, connect with the QuickBooks Support department.
- Locate and open QBWin.log or QuickBooks.log files.
- Check the log file.
- For Windows Users: Select Begin Verify, then open the file you opened recently (Logs are sorted as per dates from oldest to latest).
- For Mac Users: Go to bottom of the logs to get most recent Verify information
- Search the line that contains QuickBooks LVL_Error.
Additional Data Damage Troubleshooting For Mac
Re-sorting list will take back all the records in its earlier sequence. If there are some manual modifications in list, all of them will be undone.
Identify Problem Transactions Using Reports
Run the Balance Sheet in Cash and Accrual Basis
- From the main menu, go to Reports > Company & Financial > Balance Sheet Detail.
- Select Options and select either Accrual or Cash for Report Basis. If you don’t find any difference between the total assets and liability and equity in every report, there are some issues with your transactions. You have to create a backup of your company file and then remove and transactions again.
Compare the Account report totals to balances on the Chart of Accounts
- You need to perform a comparison in the Open Invoices report (You can open it through Reports > Customers & Receivables > Open Invoices) and Accounts Receivable balance on the Chart of Accounts.
- You also need to perform a comparison of sum in Unpaid Bills report A/P balance on the Chart of Accounts. If you don’t find them similar, it indicates that there are some issues with those transactions. You have to create a backup of your company file, remove transactions and enter them again.
Check specific accounts
Rebuild utility takes out the transactions from the current account as a Balance. Most of the time only the voided checks could be seen in this account and other checks will be seen when you use it.
Locate the transactions in which the voided checks are excluded and then remove and re-enter those transactions. You will be able to determine which item or account should be on the transaction.
- From the Activities tab, select Make Deposits
- Click on All (do not record the deposit at this time).
Make sure that on the Chart of Accounts, deposit total amount and undeposited funds are equal. Also, all the deposits should be there with negative amounts.
Merge Damaged Accounts, Items Or Names
Merge damaged accounts
- Open QuickBooks and from the main menu, go to List > Chart of Accounts.
- Hold down the CTRL key and choose the account which is having issues.
- Select Edit Account and at the end of the account name, add an asterisk (*) and click on OK.
- Hold down the CTRL key and select other accounts as well.
- On the Chart of Accounts screen, right-click and choose New Account from the drop-down.
- Provide an account type to the new account and then select OK.
- Keep on pressing the CTRL key and highlight the original account in which the issue is occurring.
- Click on Edit Account and remove the asterisk (*) from the name.
- Click on OK.
- Click on Yes to the confirmation message.
Merge damaged items
- Open QuickBooks and from the main menu, go to List > Items.
- Hold down the CTRL key and select the item which is having issues.
- Select Edit Account and at the end of the item name, add an asterisk (*) and click on OK.
- Hold down the CTRL key and select other Item as well.
- On the Item list, right-click and choose New Item from the drop-down.
- Provide an item type to the new item and then select OK.
- Keep on pressing the CTRL key and highlight the original item in which the issue is occurring.
- Click on Edit Item and remove the asterisk (*) from the name.
- Click on OK.
- Click on Yes to the confirmation message.
Technical Support For Your QuickBooks Company File Errors
By following these steps, you should be able to resolve data damage issues in your QuickBooks Company Files. By following these steps, you will also be able to resolve other errors from 6000 error series which is specifically related to the company file issues. However, if you are still not able to resolve the issue and you are still not able to work on your company file, you can contact us at our technical support department by dialing our toll-free QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1800-621-5491 to get instant technical support for your issues.