If your QuickBooks was working perfectly yesterday or a few hours back, and suddenly you are not able to print anything from QuickBooks, it is not a rare problem.
This problem usually occurs with an error message:
“Printer not activated Error Code 20”
What Are The Causes Of The QuickBooks Error 20?
- Printer not connected or QuickBooks Error Code 20 mostly appears when a user upgrades the Windows 10 or when you are using an outdated version of QuickBooks.
- When the windows is not compatible with the QuickBooks version, the printing error code 20 appears.
- The new OS removes the use of HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\Software key in the registry settings.
- The entries saved in that key do not get updated when you upgrade the OS. That’s majorly why this error occurs.
And here we tell you the possible solutions to resolve QuickBooks Error 20 or Printer Not Activated error. If the problem persists or you get stuck somewhere, get in touch with us to seek tech support.
Solutions To Resolve Error Code 20
Below we mention simple ways to solve this error. But before you begin, take a backup of registry key and create a system restore point so as to restore the system if something goes wrong while performing the steps.
Solution 1: Reinstall QuickBooks
As we mentioned above, when you upgrade the OS, the settings are eliminated. Reinstalling QuickBooks will help restore the settings in the apt registry key format. Download the installation setup from Internet or use the CD. Keep the license key handy to complete the installation process. Restart the computer and continue working again.
Solution 2: Manually Update The Registry Key Using Registry Editor
You have to be extremely careful with each step if you opt this method. A slight mistake can cause more troubles. So carefully follow the steps that we mention below to update the registry key.
- Click on Start, and search for regedit. DO NOT press enter or open this by clicking on it.
- Right click on it instead and select Run as administrator.
- Look for the HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG folder, and locate the Software folder inside it.
- Right click on the Software folder and then click on Permissions.
- A window will appear. Ensure that the Full Control the Users is checked in the table. Click on OK. Now, close the Registry Editor.
- Doing so will give Quickbooks access to the key it needed to store the settings, and the error code 20 will consequently be solved.
Solution 3: Grant Permission Using Powershell Script (For Windows 10 Only)
The best way to resolve the error code 20 (Printer Not Activated) for the Windows 10 users is to use Powershell Script.
- Log in the system as Administrator.
- Go to Start and type cmd. DO NOT left click on it or press Enter key. Right click on it, and choose Run as Administrator.
- The command Prompt will open, where you will need to type powershell. Press Enter.
- Now, copy or type the below written command as it is. Then, type or copy the following command as it is:
PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -NoLogo -NonInteractive -Command “$key = [Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::CurrentConfig.OpenSubKey(‘Software’,[Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKeyPermissionCheck]::ReadWriteSubTree,[System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryRights]::ChangePermissions); $acl =$key.GetAccessControl(); $rule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryAccessRule (‘Users’,’FullControl’,’ObjectInherit,ContainerInherit’,’None’,’Allow’); $acl.SetAccessRule($rule); $key.SetAccessControl($acl);”
Press Enter. Once the process finishes, restart the computer and continue using QuickBooks.
The best way to resolve the QuickBooks Error 20 or the Printer Not Activated error is to get in touch with the QuickBooks Support Executives. Call on the authentic QuickBooks Technical Support Phone Number +1-866-656-1012 to get premium QuickBooks Support Services.