If QuickBooks is showing you the error ‘QuickBooks won’t open company file’ or ‘QuickBooks is unable to open the company file’, you are not the right page. Here with this article, we tell you how to simple solve this error and open your company file. The below mentioned solutions will troubleshoot the error that prevent QuickBooks from opening your company file.
Firstly, you must understand the causes that lead to the error ‘QuickBooks won’t open your company file’. Following are the most common reasons.
- Some other user has already opened the file on the shared network.
- You are using wrong method to open particular files
- There might be issues with the reports in the file
- You are using wrong QuickBooks version
- There can also be issues like access permissions, compressed files, data corruption in the file or wrong filename and extension
How To Fix QuickBooks Won’t Open Company File?
- Firstly, check if the problem is with the file and not the program. To check the same, press Control key on the keyboard and double click on the QuickBooks icon. If QB doesn’t start, then that’s what the problem is. Continue with the following steps if that’s not the problem.
- Make sure that you are using the updated version of QuickBooks.
- Now, open the file with the same QuickBooks version that last opened your company file. Do this task with these steps.
- Locate the company file on your compter
- Right click on the file and click on properties.
- In the properties page, click on QuickBooks tab.
- A box will show the previously used version.
- Now that you know the previously used version, open the company file with that version Quickbooks.
- Now, click on File menu and click on Open or Restore company file.
- Choose the suitable radio button according to if it is a backup file, working company file, etc.
- Go to the location where the company file is stored.
- Follow these steps to place that file in the correct location.
- For Accountant’s Copy, click on File menu and then on ‘Convert accountant’s copy transfer file’.
- Refrain reports and other QuickBooks windows from opening by pressing the Alt key.
- Select file and press the Alt Key.
- Click on Open. If you see a login window release the Alt key, and enter the login information.
- Press the Alt key again while click on the Ok.
- Keep the Alt key pressed until the file opens or you get the error message.
- Now, try to open a sample company file. If it does not open, the problem is most probably with the QuickBooks installation.
- Change the location of the company file.
- Go to Windows Explorer and right click the File to open the properties. The file size must be at least of 7 MB, and it should not be a compressed or an encrypted. If the file’s size is exceptionally very small, it means it is a compressed file.
- If the file’s size is normal, try renaming it.
- You can also resolve this error by removing the multi-user access by clicking on the Utilities button in the file menu.
The above mentioned methods are sure to fix the QuickBooks Won’t Open Company File issue. But somehow, if the error still shows, contact us to get immediate QuickBooks technical support. Our experienced team will diagnose the root of the problem and solve it from the core so that you can resume to the work. You can contact the Intuit certified QuickBooks Experts by dialing the authentic QuickBooks Support Phone Number +1-888-396-0208. You do not have to worry about our timings as we are available 24×7 via the toll-free number and the Live Chat Support service.